Our Commitment to the Environment -
Riverside Park is a member of the Green Tourism Business Scheme (GTBS). The GTBS is an accredited scheme to help tourism businesses to reduce their environmental impact, improve the management of any resources they use, such as energy, water, waste management, in order to save costs and improve efficiency. It assesses each business individually every 2 years across a range of criteria relating to environmental good practice. In our assessment in 2017 we maintained our Silver Award. http://www.green-business.co.uk
Riverside Park strives to lessen its impact on the environment in as many ways as possible. Facilities are provided for guests to recycle: glass, tins, plastic bottles, tetrapak cartons, paper and cardboard.
Riverside Park uses electric heating. This is on a thermostat and guests are asked to make sure that heaters are not left on while they are not in the building.
Energy saving LED lightbulbs are used throughout Riverside Park.
We buy fair trade and local products wherever possible. Our business signage is discreet and our buildings are not painted, thus visually blend in with the landscape. We consider it most important that tourism works in harmony with its natural surroundings.
We have a “no smoking” policy in all the houses and garden area. We encourage our guests to support local producers, pubs, restaurants, cafes and shops and we promote local tourist attractions and events.
What Can You Do?
We can all help to reduce our impact on the environment around us.
For example you can help by:
- Placing your rubbish in the appropriate bins at Riverside Park for recycling OR
- Take your own rubbish for recycling to the nearest supermarket/car park. The nearest car park to Riverside Park is Pitsite at the Fountain Roundabout which has recycling bins for glass bottles, plastic bottles, cans, paper and textiles and shoes.
- Minimising water usage
- Turning off electric items when not in use
- Turn off lights when leaving a room
- Ensure windows are not left open whilst the heating is on
- Use environmentally friendly washing and cleaning products
- Walking or cycling rather than driving on local journeys
- Using trains and buses
- Shopping locally
We are committed to:
Good environmental practice in business activities, minimising harmful effects and maximising the beneficial influences on the environment;
- Complying with environmental laws and fulfilling duty of care requirements for waste disposal.
- Identifying the action that we need to undertake to greatly help to reduce our carbon footprint.
- We encourage our guests to enjoy walking/cycling in the area and supply information on local routes.
- We welcome support, participation and suggestions from our customers as to how we can improve our environmental policy and protect the environment.
We also support not only local charities, projects and schools but local suppliers and our surrounding wildlife too, CHOG (Christchurch Harbour Ornithological Group) who are dedicated to the study and conservation of the wildlife on the Harbour. http://www.chog.org.uk/